Sunday, April 5, 2015

Day Five - Emily Dickinson: Disassembled

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt was to take an Emily Dickinson poem, remove all the punctuation, and then re-break the lines, adding or removing words in order to make something new.  

I took that suggestion to the extreme, typing out all the words to "A not admitting of the wound" into a column, and then rearranging them copy-paste fashion into groups by parts of speech with the windows Paint accessory.  All this as preparation to begin playing with them as though they were refrigerator poetry magnets. I built my poem up from scratch, based on how the words called to me.  

Below is a .jpg rendition of the result.  The stray words at the bottom were my leftovers.

I enjoyed this exercise!  I am always interested in how different artists can use the same raw materials to arrive at unique outcomes (give or take a few one and two letter words).





The original poem, by Emily Dickinson:

A not admitting of the wound

A not admitting of the wound
Until it grew so wide
That all my Life had entered it
And there were troughs beside -

A closing of the simple lid that opened
   to the sun
Until the tender Carpenter
Perpetual nail it down -


* * * * *


Can be found by Clicking Here

1 comment:

grams ramblings said...

I like what you did with the Emily Dickensen poem - well done and let's see some more. You can find mine at gramswisewords.blogspot.com